Dog League!

This is the general forum.

Postby TheIceMage » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:34 pm

If you sell a dead, non-regenerating orc, it goes into the regeneration chamber.
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby tuneloon » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:39 am

Some things you might want to consider

An owner does not have to bid on 20 orcs until at 35, but all owners must have a full 35 man roster and all marked as playing for each game. If you have an orc die, then you must release him and pick up another to replace him before your next game ensuring that you have a full 35 for your next game. This can easily be viewed in the post game text that both teams have the same number of orcs playing in the game. If a roster does not have a full 35 playing, they forfeit with a win.

This would make it much more challenging to manage between letting your really bad players die. setting their tolerance too low, or putting them into a game with almost no health, because you risk losing them. I know I will want my sucky stars with full health and I want them coming out when hurt, so they can suck for as much of the game as possible, and all season long. So you would have to manage health, tolerance and armor much more carefully.

NO LOOTING. By not looting, you know a player will not get his players killed overnight and not be able to keep a full 35 man roster for an upcoming game. Or, if you chose to loot and cannot get your roster up to a full 35 by game time, you forfeit win.

I don't know if it would be possible for Ice to do this, but if he could, he could pay off all of the teams loans after all rosters are full, which would give us the extra income that we would lose due to looting and ensure we have some money to heal, arm, and rebid on orcs lost due to death.

A player would also have to be careful not to spend all of their money, in case they do lose too many players to death and would have to have enough to refill their rosters to 35.

This would allow the only real thing that has to be monitored is that all owners have 35 players available for each game. Everything else they do is at their own risk. This would make it to where Ice doesn't have to do too much to make it work.

What do you think?
Dorc
tuneloon
Elite Overlord

Postby Cazior » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:47 pm

1. Cazior's Namby Pamby Nancy Boys
2. Vain's Caspanova's Cupcakes
3. Tomchaps's ???
4. Sharp's ???
5. Brakgwar's ???
6. Tuneloon's ???
7. <open>
8. <open>

IF YOU HAVE A ??? PLEASE START A NEW TEAM BUT DO NOT REQUEST A SEASON. POST YOUR TEAM NAME IN THIS THREAD SO WE GET IT ON THE LIST.

Responding to Tuneloon, I think your proposals are cool but might require Icemage to give us money after every game, and it would make it so it would be impossible for an overlord to go away for a couple of days; the assistant can help out with lineups, etc., but cannot drop dead orcs and buy live ones, so having to go away for 2 days with mandatory 35 orc rosters would mean you'd lose points.

I think there may be some competition in the bidding for the most horrendous orcs out there. As the competition goes up, the gold required goes up. Healing is important, as will be armor.

If it is mandatory to sell dead orcs (which gives you 0 gold) and buy new orcs (which may have some competition, costing more gold), and looting is not allowed, there is almost no source of gold for armor or healing besides game winnings (which will ideally be losings, so less money).

If someone wants a good looter, they will be going for a player with decent Sneak, Get and Toughness, which is a potential GOOD player (read: bad dog) and there may be lots of games when all 35 orcs play (or rotating them so all the level 1 guys don't level up until the last possible moment might be helpful), so there's a built-in check and balance there. I think Brakgwar's suggestion to loot whenever wherever but mandatory bail-outs is a good one, and I think the 24 (not 35) minimum for live, playing orcs is a little better for manageability. Is that okay?
Division II Hibernation: The Snotley Motleys
Division II Hibernation: The Paisleys
Cazior
Senior Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:15 am

1) You probably want to decide on a fair tolerance for all orcs in the league. That way, you don't have someone setting tolerance to 100 and having all orcs run for the bench at the starting bell.

2) It's possible to eliminate loans for this season.

3) I would think a fair compromise is to require a minimum of 28 (or so) orcs on the field on every game. That gives some flexibility in replacing dead players.
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby tuneloon » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:12 am

Well, since the loan can be eliminated, that will save a bunch of money for the owners during the season. I've got a current team in the finals in season one, and their looting for the entire years was just under 25000, so thats a fair tradeoff with no loan, and even better considering they don't have interest charges.

With not having to pay back a loan, teams would get more money with each game. The tough part is, if you lose, you get less money. So the players that win will be able to get armor and heal to keep their bad players on the field, while the one that loses may have to play better orcs because they can't heal and armor their real bad orcs. It would be a horrible catch 22.

If we set a minimum of 25 active, that is 3 full lines and 1 scrub, or the ability to have 10 dead orcs and still have an acceptable roster, so I like the idea of 25 or 28 active, or something near that.

Also like the idea of setting a standard tolerance or a tolerance range, but I don't know how easy that would be to monitor.

Bidding will be high at the start, but we still need to have everyone's roster full by the start of the season, so someone doesn't bit 15K on the worst orc out there and not be able to afford a full roster.

If we allow looting, then a team is going to have 5-10 good players that never see the field and their sole purpose is looting, which I think takes away from what we're trying to accomplish a little, but that's just my opinion, and I'm fine with it either way.

I have created a team called Tuneloon's Tail Chasers for this league.

I'm not sure if it's because they're chasing their own tails or chasing too much female tail, but believe me..... they will not be focused on winning!!!
Dorc
tuneloon
Elite Overlord

Postby vain » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:23 pm

Will it be easy enough to arrange a reverse playoff/finals where the losers progress?
Proudly shilling Orcade since 2003
vain
Overlord

Postby Cazior » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:06 pm

TheIceMage wrote:1) You probably want to decide on a fair tolerance for all orcs in the league. That way, you don't have someone setting tolerance to 100 and having all orcs run for the bench at the starting bell.

2) It's possible to eliminate loans for this season.

3) I would think a fair compromise is to require a minimum of 28 (or so) orcs on the field on every game. That gives some flexibility in replacing dead players.

1) Brakgwar suggested tolerance no higher than half the orc's total hit points. Because this is probably going to be a light-hitting league, that might be a bit high; we could say 15 tolerance max.

2) Cool. So we'd just get 50,000 free money with no responsibility to pay it back. Why, oh why can't credit cards work that way?

3) 28 seems like a good number. That would allow any manager to have 7 orcs regenerating.

I'll go through and summarize the rules for this league sometime soon. In the meantime, there are two free slots in the league, and we still need some team names for overlords who said they want to play.

UPDATED LIST

3. Tomchaps's ???
4. Sharp's ???
5. Brakgwar's ???
6. Tuneloon's Tail Chasers
7. <open>
8. <open>

IF YOU HAVE A ???, PLEASE START A TEAM AND POST ITS NAME IN THIS THREAD BUT DO NOT REQUEST A NEW SEASON (LEAVE IT IN HIBERNATION).
Cazior
Senior Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:57 pm

vain wrote:Will it be easy enough to arrange a reverse playoff/finals where the losers progress?

I could probably set up a double-elimination (you're out if you win two series), loser-moves-on tournament as long as I do it by hand (and someone reminds me when the time comes). Whatever you want to do.
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby Brakgwar » Mon May 01, 2006 9:46 am

Brakgwar's Which Way is the Goal? :wink:
Brakgwar
Former "Overlord with the Most Balls"

Postby sharp » Mon May 01, 2006 1:06 pm

Sharp's Sore Losers
sharp
Elite Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Mon May 01, 2006 1:24 pm

One vowel different makes you Sharp's Sure Losers! :-)
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby Cazior » Mon May 01, 2006 6:48 pm

UPDATED LIST

3. Tomchaps's ???
4. Sharp's S[o/u]re Losers
5. Brakgwar's Which Way is the Goal?
7. <open>
8. <open>

IF YOU HAVE A ???, PLEASE START A TEAM AND POST ITS NAME IN THIS THREAD BUT DO NOT REQUEST A NEW SEASON (LEAVE IT IN HIBERNATION).
Cazior
Senior Overlord

Postby vain » Mon May 01, 2006 7:25 pm

just to clear up something up. Think of me as two different people, Vain is the guy who really likes winning and posts, while Caspanova as they guy who never posts and doesnt mind trying new and different things, even if they result in getting pasted. lets try having it as "Vain & Caspanova's Cupcakes"
vain
Overlord

Postby Cazior » Mon May 01, 2006 8:09 pm

UPDATED LIST

2. Vain and Caspanova's Cupcakes
3. Tomchaps's ???
4. Sharp's S[o/u]re Losers
5. Brakgwar's Which Way is the Goal?
7. <open>
8. <open>

Cazior
Senior Overlord

Postby vain » Tue May 02, 2006 7:11 am

Moral of the story: The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

And remember kids, knowing is half the battle.
vain
Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to Let's talk OrcSports!