What to bid?

This is the general forum.

What to bid?

Postby Bogdanovist » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:33 pm

Hi all, I'm new to this game, just started my first Novice season and have put in my 20 bids. Now I just have to wait for a few days....

As I havn't done this before though, I'm not sure how much I should be bidding to get the good players? For a player who has a price ~500 but is the best of a particular position available, what should I bid if I really want him? I don't want to miss the good players, but I'd like to not get ripped off in the bidding war as well!

If anyone has any other bidding tips, that would be appreciated!

Also as I'm new I'd love to see what the playback of an OrcSports game actually looks like. Sure I'll see my own games soon enough but I'm impatient! Is there any way to see other games that have been played? I've looked around but can't find anything.
Bogdanovist
Senior Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:18 pm

On the playback side, there used to be a sample playback, but that's been taken down from the site. Take a look at:
http://www.orcsports.com/sampgame.html

This is a game between the Orc Castrators and the Orcland Raiders, one of the first-ever championship games.

- Brett
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby Cazior » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:22 pm

Welcome!

Don't be afraid to bid more than 1,000 gold on the orcs who might be your best 2 goalies, best 4 centers, best 4 defenders, and best 4 wings. Those 14 will likely play the most for you the first season. Figure that you'll have 14 consistently playing, 7 emergency/injury backups (a third goalie and 2 third string backups at every other position) and 14 that will spend most of their time looting.

Orcs can loot, and you will get gold for winning (and losing) games, so you will be able to buy armor and weapons fairly quickly. It's okay if your first few games are a free-for-all of naked orcs.

Determining who is the best orc at a certain position can be a little tricky. There are the two major stats for a position, but as time goes by you'll get a sense if one is more important than the other. You'll also start to have opinions about what third and fourth stat are most important for any given position. Toughness is pretty good for all the positions.

Good luck!
Division II Hibernation: The Snotley Motleys
Division II Hibernation: The Paisleys
Cazior
Senior Overlord

Postby Bogdanovist » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:03 am

Thanks for the responses. The playback dosn't seem to work, but my work machine might be the problem, I'll try to have a look at it when I get home.

Looks like I'll have to up some of my bids! Thanks for clarifying the goalie issue, I was confused as to whether you needed as many goalies as other positions. I guess it makes sense that goalies don't get as tired and can play a full game when the other positions need to rotate more.

Can't wait till the season starts!
Bogdanovist
Senior Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:45 am

The playback is a Java applet. You have to have the Java Runtime Engine installed for it to work. It does take a little while for it to download, though. I'll actually post a separate thread on it.
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby Bogdanovist » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:34 pm

Yeah it worked from home, so my work computer musn't have the right set-up. That's probably a good thing though :wink:
Bogdanovist
Senior Overlord

Return to Let's talk OrcSports!