OrcSports hacked

This is the general forum.

OrcSports hacked

Postby TheIceMage » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:50 pm

Some of you may already know since I posted something about this in the thread that talks about moving the game to a new host, but OrcSports was hacked through its message board. Amazingly, this never happened when it was living on my server and using my DSL connection. I have to guess I had something turned off that wouldn't let the attack succeed, and when I moved to the new server, whatever it is was enabled. Anyway, the message board was the attack vector and I've upgraded it, so hopefully it won't happen again.

The hacker uploaded a bunch of new phishing-specific files to the server and sent out a bunch of emails to people from the game posing as banks. Now, my hope is that people aren't dumb enough to fall for a lame phishing scheme that says, "hey, what's your account number, password, mom's maiden name, high school mascot, blah blah blah," but sadly, that's not the case. A couple people entered all that information, apparently thinking "OrcSports" means "my bank" in some obscure dialect of stupid. :roll:

Kudos to you who didn't fall for it. I congratulate you by name:
gandi humpalot
what the
yeah right
upyours doyouthinkanyonesstupid
scammersarequeer youscum
gaylord butler
tosser shagwank
scamming bastard
wanker arse
idontbank withyou
big bolocks

You are the ones who entered something OTHER THAN your actual credit card information based on an unsolicited email telling you to give up everything you know about your finances to some random web site. :D
39-21-23-72 on 4/9/2009
34-11-14-38 on 12/5/2007
30-8-9-33 on 5/2/2007
::goldmedal:: ::silvermedal:: ::bronzemedal:: ::dog::
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Re: OrcSports hacked

Postby tuneloon » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:10 am

wow.... I never got one. I feel so lonely and ignored :cry:

bummer about the hassles, glad you got it worked out.

tune
Dorc
tuneloon
Elite Overlord

Postby bubbauk » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:14 am

yeah. me neither. i never got an email. or i didnt pay attention to it. Guess they realized, even with my credit card number, they wouldnt get anything. lol.
Bubbauk
bubbauk
Elite Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:07 am

Well, to be clear, the hacker didn't gain access to the OrcSports membership database. They had their own recipient list that they sent emails to. I don't know where they got it from. The thing it had to do with my site is that they sent email from my account and sent folks here to enter bank info.
39-21-23-72 on 4/9/2009
34-11-14-38 on 12/5/2007
30-8-9-33 on 5/2/2007
::goldmedal:: ::silvermedal:: ::bronzemedal:: ::dog::
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Return to Let's talk OrcSports!