Hitting

This is the general forum.

Hitting

Postby TheIceMage » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:15 pm

One of the things that I noticed has not been consistent from the old simulation to the new one has been hitting. There are two things that play into this. The first is fights. Orcs will (occasionally) fight now, which basically means they hit each other until one or the other is knocked out. This is new functionality that was in the old simulation but not used. I changed the new sim to use this.

The other is hitting in general. It seems to me that general hitting has declined from what it was before. Thoughts? Observations? I am guessing I'd like to bring hitting back up to the old levels again, but with fights in the mix, it could get messy.
39-21-23-72 on 4/9/2009
34-11-14-38 on 12/5/2007
30-8-9-33 on 5/2/2007
::goldmedal:: ::silvermedal:: ::bronzemedal:: ::dog::
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Re: Hitting

Postby GlorkagGutripper » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:19 am

Yes I noticed that as well---more orcs getting pummeled into a permanent sleep. :lol: It does appear that less damage is occuring as the 'hits given/hits received' looks like it is significantly less that it was in the previous seasons. I'm assuming if you increase the general hitting it will result in more orcs getting regenerated.....as long as the deceased play for another team I am all for it :)
GlorkagGutripper
Overlord

Postby NeonElf » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:02 pm

I'm not sure I"m in Favor of increasing hits. I have a wing that played for 3:33 in a game tonight who was hit 143, times and hit others 123 times. Oddly my opponent also had a wing with 124 hits given and taken in his 3:18 minutes in the game. The next closest player had 79/63 Given/Taken in over 20 minutes of play. My wing died, while my opponent's didn't. I don't know if they got into a fight and that's where all the "hits" came from but there are other oddities to this:

-My wing was armed with a spike, and armored with chain mail, and started with 40 hitpoints.
-My opponent's wing had no weapon and was armored with chain mail, and started with 20 hitpoints.

-They were involved with each other as my opponent's wing actually got the knockout blow on mine.

-I don't know what his toughness was but my wing was a 3, which I thought wasn't half bad.

How do you sustain 124 hits with only 20 hit points and not die? I wish hits were recorded in the text output of the game a bit more, I think only the knockout hits are mentioned.

I think I might try to make a bruiser team next time I start a team.
NeonElf
Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:17 am

NeonElf wrote:I'm not sure I"m in Favor of increasing hits. I have a wing that played for 3:33 in a game tonight who was hit 143, times and hit others 123 times. Oddly my opponent also had a wing with 124 hits given and taken in his 3:18 minutes in the game. The next closest player had 79/63 Given/Taken in over 20 minutes of play. My wing died, while my opponent's didn't. I don't know if they got into a fight and that's where all the "hits" came from

That was definitely a fight, and one that lasted two minutes and two seconds! :shock: (2:02 = 122 hits each.) I hope you don't mind me using their names for reference. The fight was between Kileocar (your orc) and Hokzapid. The fight started around 7:44 in the first period.

NeonElf wrote:-My wing was armed with a spike, and armored with chain mail, and started with 40 hitpoints.
-My opponent's wing had no weapon and was armored with chain mail, and started with 20 hitpoints.
-They were involved with each other as my opponent's wing actually got the knockout blow on mine.
-I don't know what his toughness was but my wing was a 3, which I thought wasn't half bad.

All hits count under hits given/hits received stats, but only those that do damage are recorded in game events. Both orcs in the fight were Defense 1s, one of the determinants in how hard you hit. Hokzapid has an edge being from the Death Blossom clan (bonus to Pound). With both wearing chain armor, only a few hits got through to do damage. Kileocar had three hits that did damage at 7:37, 7:02 and 6:57. Hokzapid had 8 damaging hits at 7:44, 7:43, 7:18, 6:55, 6:42, 6:12, 5:46, and finally knocks Kileocar out at 5:41. Watching the playback, I see that at the start of the fight, Vlanwonbay is also hitting Kileocar - six times before he runs off, and Ledubnx wanders up at 6:46 and hits Kileocar 12 times, not counting the early hit Ledubnx got on him just after the game started. So your orc got double-teamed a bit.

NeonElf wrote:I wish hits were recorded in the text output of the game a bit more, I think only the knockout hits are mentioned.

Good point. I just put in a change that will let you see all the hits that did damage. Just bring up the text game and add "&allhits=1" to the URL. For this game that would be:
http://www.orcsports.com/textgame.php?S ... &allhits=1
39-21-23-72 on 4/9/2009
34-11-14-38 on 12/5/2007
30-8-9-33 on 5/2/2007
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby TheIceMage » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:21 am

Your post raises some questions about whether fights in the game are working as they should. Should a fight be allowed to go on for over 2 minutes? Should other orcs be allowed to join in and gang up on an orc? If they do, would it prompt a bench-clearing brawl (or at least the orcs already on the field would get more involved)? Should a fight be stopped after one or the other scores a certain number of damaging blows? Should you be able to mark your orc as a pansy who won't fight?

Please weigh in on this. I'm open to suggestions. I do like the addition of fights but if they're done wrong, it can make the game less enjoyable.
39-21-23-72 on 4/9/2009
34-11-14-38 on 12/5/2007
30-8-9-33 on 5/2/2007
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby NeonElf » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:31 pm

I think fights are good. You just can't stop orc from brawling sometimes. I don't know how you should handle fights that last so long, but maybe a random chance the ref stops them after so many hits, or so much time.... Or perhaps a chance someone on the field jumps in on either side, but then if they grow to a certain size it would clear the bench. That would be awesome, but only if it happened pretty rarely. ::beer::

I keep a full three lines and bench warmers and it seems like there is no benefit to having so many extra orcs (unless there was a bench clearing fight!) Just my thoughts.
NeonElf
Overlord

Postby NeonElf » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:36 pm

On a somewhat "hit" related topic, my orc Kileocar is the #3 target in my league... how does this happen? Does he smell too nice? Is he not ugly enough? why do the other orcs pick on him? Hahahah! It'd be kinda funny (although I don't know how much work it would be) to track player relationships so vendettas could happen. Like now I'm pretty sure Kileocar is mad at that guy he lost the fight to, and will work extra hard to take the other guy down in future games, making retaliation flights more likely. Kinda like hockey.

Also what starts fights? Are there factors that go into it or just random chance and proximity?
NeonElf
Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:40 pm

What causes a fight currently: being hit + random chance (influenced by a bunch of factors like position, toughness, knockouts given, etc.).
39-21-23-72 on 4/9/2009
34-11-14-38 on 12/5/2007
30-8-9-33 on 5/2/2007
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby TheIceMage » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:01 pm

There is definitely one tweak I would like to make after having watched this two-minute-long fight: the two orcs fighting should still move around the field a bit more. I'm thinking basically any time they get hit for damage, they stagger back at the very least.
39-21-23-72 on 4/9/2009
34-11-14-38 on 12/5/2007
30-8-9-33 on 5/2/2007
TheIceMage
Site Admin

You best step back, son.

Postby Dizzy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:45 pm

TheIceMage wrote:There is definitely one tweak I would like to make after having watched this two-minute-long fight: the two orcs fighting should still move around the field a bit more. I'm thinking basically any time they get hit for damage, they stagger back at the very least.

Yeah, baby. Aw yeah. I'd love to see a goalkeeper get smacked out of the way to make room for a goal.

NeonElf wrote:I keep a full three lines and bench warmers and it seems like there is no benefit to having so many extra orcs (unless there was a bench clearing fight!)

Been to the Elites much?
Spleenrippaz -- 3rd, 6th, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 2nd
Meathooks -- 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd
Eels -- 1st
Dizzy
Elite Overlord

Return to Let's talk OrcSports!