Home field (lack of) advantage.

In this forum, some different strategies of OrcSports are brought up in articles and/or discussions.

Home field (lack of) advantage.

Postby Cazior » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:19 pm

Okay, after 21 games in the hotly-contested Division IV Caz/Brak/Chuck/Sharp league where Evo was barely edged out of the playoffs :( , I thought it would be a good case study for home field advantage.

Overall, home teams scored 1585 points and allowed 1652 (total 3237 points scored). That suggests there was little or no home field advantage. In fact, it suggested an away team advantage. Weird.

So then I factored out Paul and Chris, who together accounted for 2024 or 63% of the total points allowed (those two teams were really awful). The remaining 1118 points were split 554 for the home team and 564 for the away team, suggesting even more strongly that there is little home field advantage.

Looking at just games 8-21 (where the teams double up), home teams were 393-396 in scoring.

The only time it seems like there's a "home field advantage" is in the playoffs, where the 1st and 2nd seeded teams are designated as the home team. But that sort of makes sense given the strengths of the teams. Anyway, I thought I'd post my findings since this came up in an earlier thread.
Division II Hibernation: The Snotley Motleys
Division II Hibernation: The Paisleys
Cazior
Senior Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:55 pm

Thanks. I was right on the verge of looking at this very same thing! :D
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby Tyrnid » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:08 pm

so is there a home field advantage?
Gears Of War Nov. 8
Tyrnid
Senior Overlord

Postby Cazior » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:44 pm

Tyrnid wrote:so is there a home field advantage?

Not really. It works out that the home team wins a little more often in the postseason, but that is because the teams with better records are the home teams in postseason.
Division II Hibernation: The Snotley Motleys
Division II Hibernation: The Paisleys
Cazior
Senior Overlord

Postby Tyrnid » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:51 pm

o thx for the help. :idea:
Gears Of War Nov. 8
Tyrnid
Senior Overlord

Return to Strategy Articles and Talk