Rollover Strategy

In this forum, some different strategies of OrcSports are brought up in articles and/or discussions.

Rollover Strategy

Postby Bogdanovist » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:17 pm

I'm coming up to my first rollover and I'm after some advice.

It looks like I will have enough cash to keep my entire team by the end of the season. I'm not sure that I should though, since they are all rookies limited to 5 in stats, whereas next season their will be stat 6 orcs in the homelands. It has been a pretty uncompetative season with me winning the bids for all but 1 orc in the preseason, and going undefeated so far with only a handfull of games to go, hence my team is pretty good (for a novice team anyway).

If I pay to keep all my orcs, can I sell some and get my money back once I see what the Division IV homelands have to offer? Is this a good strategy?

Any other tips, tricks, pitfalls and general pearls of wisdom about rollover tactics would be appreciated :D
Bogdanovist
Senior Overlord

Re: Rollover Strategy

Postby Cazior » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:42 am

Bogdanovist wrote:If I pay to keep all my orcs, can I sell some and get my money back once I see what the Division IV homelands have to offer? Is this a good strategy?

Sure. The orcs in the next homeland might have slightly better stats, but they will be slightly less experienced than your current orcs. The more decent, playable, lootable orcs you hold on to, the fewer you'll be bidding on, the more you can afford to bid on new orcs, and the more likely you'll win them.
Division II Hibernation: The Snotley Motleys
Division II Hibernation: The Paisleys
Cazior
Senior Overlord

Roll over, boy. Now speak!

Postby Dizzy » Tue May 01, 2007 11:06 am

I gotsta question: Why would you pay off your rollover costs early? Is it about the interest that you earn or just the peace of mind that a major expense has been paid (like a mortgage)? Is the orc going to play better knowing that his job is secure for at least the rest of the season?

My tendency is, specifically, not to pay in advance: what if I find out later that the orc's worth a fortune to sell? What if I need that money for some kind of emergency healing bill? What if I..., uh.. okay I ran out of whatifs.
Dizzy
Elite Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Tue May 01, 2007 4:11 pm

I tend to decide which orcs I want to keep and pay 50 gold towards their rollover. This allows me to use the handy information at the bottom of the rollover page. If I decide later that I don't want them, I can withdraw the payment and it costs only like 10 gold.

As the season goes along, I keep at least 2,000 gold in cash. Amounts over 2,000 go first towards paying off the loan, second to getting any extra armor/weapons I need and third, rollover prepayment.

The 2.5% interest is significant, since it's compound and it's a full 2.5% each week. That's an APR of some ridiculously high number. It adds up.

The orcs don't play any better because of prepayment. That was talked about in the context of morale, but never put into place.
39-21-23-72 on 4/9/2009
34-11-14-38 on 12/5/2007
30-8-9-33 on 5/2/2007
::goldmedal:: ::silvermedal:: ::bronzemedal:: ::dog::
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Return to Strategy Articles and Talk