Rotating lines - Newbie advice and Questions

In this forum, some different strategies of OrcSports are brought up in articles and/or discussions.

Rotating lines - Newbie advice and Questions

Postby randomluck » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:11 am

Hello all:

First off, thanks for such a great game! I love it! I?m hooked and plan to be here as long as I can maintain an internet connection. :P

However, I?m trying to figure out how to manage my teams better and want to ask some advice on rotating lines and gaining experience.

Specifically, when is a good point for turning your first line into your second line? How does everyone prefer to rotate their lines? Do you rotated 1st to 2nd, leaving the third line to languish as inexperienced noobs, only seeing time on the field (TOF) when everyone else is beaten up/tired? Or do you rotate lines 1st to 3rd, 3rd to 2nd, 2nd to 1st? Rotate every game/week, match, etc?

Does this vary based on the experience of the team your up against, the season your particular players/team are in? Do you aim for keeping a few players in the game to bump their experience up high at the penalty of the rest of the team being slackers?

Well, that?s enough for now and I look forward to seeing you coaches on the field.
The Black Belt Beaters
Honest Tricksters
Followers of One Fang
Three Claws
Fifth Times the Charm
Not the Face! Not the Face!
Mwuhahaha
randomluck
Elite Overlord

Postby tuneloon » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:59 pm

There are a lot of factors that I use to determine rotating lines.

View your upcoming opponent. If you notice that they are getting destroyed and are an easy target, then I swap the 1st and 3rd lines to rest my starters and get 3rd string some playing time.

I will generally leave in my first string unless they are tired or I'm facing a weaker opponent. If they start to tire, then I usually keep one of the first string in and move the other to 3rd, raising the best 2nd line to 1st, and best 3rd to 2nd. Then on the following game I might simply trade out the other 1st stringer with the 1st stringer that was resting.

Pay attention to how close orcs are to gaining levels as well. I might move a 3rd up to 2nd for a game if he is about to gain a level, then switch him back after the level has been gained.
Dorc
tuneloon
Elite Overlord

Postby sharp » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:12 pm

Well said.
sharp
Elite Overlord

Postby tomchaps » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:39 am

My goal is to give my first string the most playtime they can get without getting tired. Second stringers need to be strong, and figure that your third-stringers will be studs in a season or two, when your current first-stringers get old and need a cane.

I hate fatigue, and spend a lot to make sure I never have a tired orc in the first or second strings, so I think I sub in more than most.
tomchaps
Senior Overlord

Return to Strategy Articles and Talk