Newbie observations for Newbie - Additional Strategy Notes

In this forum, some different strategies of OrcSports are brought up in articles and/or discussions.

Newbie observations for Newbie - Additional Strategy Notes

Postby randomluck » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:00 am

Well, I'm finishing up my first season and wanted to pass along a few observations I learned for any new coaches out there. This advice doesn't replace the general strategy article, but rather supplements it with a few observations.

First: Importance of Goalies

From what I can see, Goalies are the single most important player on the field. Without them your toast. You can't win with only them since they don't score, but I don't think you can win without them. Get a good goalie. Actually, get two good goalies. Get High Eek, high Slam, and Toughness 2 or greater. 3 is better, but a good set of Chain or Plate counters their low toughness.

Second: Insignificance of Goalies

Have your two good goalies? Good, that's all you need. You don't need backups. Unlike the other players who will get tired, beat up, and knocked out throughout the game, Goalies are relatively immune. In my first team, I spent money trying to get six good players for each position. Now I realize the waste of effort. I used the same two goalies throughout the entire season. I could have spent that money on better players in other areas.

Also, as your players in the third and second line are used to backfill any missing positions in a game, your more likely to see your 3rd line goalies playing as Center, Wing or Defense then as goalie. Thus, after having your two Good Goalies, aim the third and second line "goalie" positions to fill in positions other than goalie. Usually you will find one player who you can use as an "emergency" goalie if one of your Good Goalies is out of the game for some reason (jail, regen, etc.).

Third: Rotating lines

I haven't figured out line rotation strategies that work yet. However, I can tell you if you follow the tip above, you can rest players by swapping them with the players in the 2nd and 3rd line goalie positions. In this way the player is still in the game if absolutely needed, but is not likely to see action. I used this successfully against a killer team, rotating my most injured Centers out of the game into the 3rd position goalie position. When all my other centers were beat into submission, my star center in the 3rd goalie position took the field. He only played a few minutes, but I did manage to keep a full field of players out there throughout the entire game, an achievement considering the competition.

Fourth: Rotate Armor

I don't bother equipping every player on the team. It probably seems obvious to the experienced players, but my second greatest newbie mistake was to equip every player with armor in my first team. With my second team I equipped only those players in positions with armor. When my orcs go looting, I rotate the armor off the players to the looters. This serves two objectives: a) You buy less armor, but higher quality armor, b) it costs less money.

Fifth: Prison time is a good thing

In my first team I viewed prison time as a bad thing. After all, when in prison my guys can't loot. I now have a different outlook with my second team. I took an orc with the following stats: Sneak 5, pound 5. After prison, he is a Sneak 5, Pound 6 Tough 3 monster. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does this next game. Toughness is important, vitally important, and Prison is the only way to increase it. The increase in Pound is nice, because you don't need to purchase a Pound training facility to increase the skill. Sure, your other skills take a hit, but you can train them back up.

Sixth: Expect to lose ? Think long term

My teams had no training facilities when I started. My competition had full sets of training facilities. One coach built up to second tier training. My team got walloped. I now have a long term strategy with my second team. I selected good players, and managed to pay off my loan quickly. I'm not planning on winning the league this first season. Instead, I'm hoping to position myself for being competitive in the second or third season. I bought quality orcs and am using Prison time to bring them up to competitive levels. I purchased a training facility midway not to train the orcs so much as to have it to carry forward next season. Think long term strategy rather than short term tactics.

Well, that's all I've got for now. That said, my record has definitely improved with my second team. My first team I'm currently in fourth, and will likely finish the season in fourth, with a long shot at third. My second team has only a single loss so far, with over half the games gone. I felt sure the "killer team" with all their money, training facilities, and experience was going to crush me, but I pulled a win out of our first match up and can see how my strategy changes have impacted the game.

Anyone with more experience have something to add?
The Black Belt Beaters
Honest Tricksters
Followers of One Fang
Three Claws
Fifth Times the Charm
Not the Face! Not the Face!
Mwuhahaha
randomluck
Elite Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:17 am

These are certainly interesting observations. Note that exceptions will happen. For example, at one point I needed to go out and get an emergency goalie from the homeland since 4 of my other 5 goalies were out of commission! I do recommend having two first line goalies, and one in each of the second and third lines.

Goalies take damage from blocking shots, and centers and wings deal damage with their shots based on their Lose stat in the same way defensemen deal damage with their Pound stat!! (Betcha didn't know that!)

I still don't recommend training facilities for novice teams. In fact, I was considering turning training facility purchasing off for novice teams so the first time you could purchase one is second season.

- Brett
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby randomluck » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:25 pm

Thanks, Icemage!

No, I did not know about the shots causing damage to the Goalies, but now I do! :twisted: But I have observed my goalies usually stick around longer than any other players

I don't know if having the training facilities for Season 1 are a good or bad thing. Personally, I found it daunting when my opponent had a full set of training facilities and I was still fighting to get armor. However, when I bought my first training facility, it did make me feel like I accomplished something.

These are just my observations and I have no doubt they will change as I gain more experience. But, with the notes listed here I can have a history of my thoughts and realize how offbase I was later.

Thanks for the note on blocking shots doing damage. I would send a tip on "Never send a goalie unarmored", but that is mentioned in several other notes.

BTW, appreciate all your work on this. Absolutely amazing!
The Black Belt Beaters
Honest Tricksters
Followers of One Fang
Three Claws
Fifth Times the Charm
Not the Face! Not the Face!
Mwuhahaha
randomluck
Elite Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:30 pm

Thank you very much! :D
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby Tyrnid » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:41 pm

hey icemage, i thought when you are in prison your stats go down. i think i read that somewhere but i am not sure it if is true because of what random luck posted above.
Gears Of War Nov. 8
Tyrnid
Senior Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:42 pm

TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby Tyrnid » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:46 pm

If it makes your stats go down then how did his pound go up? :?
Gears Of War Nov. 8
Tyrnid
Senior Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:57 pm

Read the training page...

After 10 days in prison, orcs lose 1 from highest of Get, Lose, Eek or Slam.
After 20 days in prison, orcs lose 1 from highest of Get, Lose, Eek or Slam, and gain 1 in Pound.
After 30 days in prison, orcs lose 1 from highest 2 of Get, Lose, Eek or Slam, and gain 1 in Toughness.
After 50 days in prison, orcs lose 1 from each of Get, Lose, Eek and Slam, and gain 1 in both Sneak and Pound.
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby Tyrnid » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:17 pm

My bad, it didnt say that on the link you gave me.
Gears Of War Nov. 8
Tyrnid
Senior Overlord

Return to Strategy Articles and Talk