Okay, clans are active. What does that mean?

In this forum, some different strategies of OrcSports are brought up in articles and/or discussions.

Okay, clans are active. What does that mean?

Postby tomchaps » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:04 pm

Wow, lots of updates today! I had forgotten about clans, and had to go search through the forums to see what was going on. How was it implemented, ice? Are there "alliances," or is it just a straight bonus? Is the bonus equal to a "point" in the category, or is it smaller than that?

Guidance would be appreciated.

One idea, although it's probably too late now. For each team, count the number of orcs in each clan. The clan with the most orcs is "dominant" and gets the bonus; the clan with the least gets picked on, and gets a negative. This might be simpler than the voting/alliance mechanism, and it would make for some interesting bench pick decisions: do I go for the looter, or the the Lose-clan orc?, etc...

Thanks for all the work.
tomchaps
Senior Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:13 pm

Some of those updates technically happened late last week. I was just lazy about announcing them.

On clans: I'm going with an "unsteady alliance" for now. That is to say, no voting, no differences among the clan interactions at the moment. Everything will be the same for a while while we all get used to clan modifiers and their impact on the game. It almost sounds scientific - introduce one variable at a time. :-D

The way the clan modifier works is this: Each orc belongs to a family, and that family is within one of the seven clans. Families bring with them some variances, but the clan is consistent. In other words, you could be in the three rivers clan and because of that, you know you get at least a +1 skill bonus to Lose. How much of a bonus, and whether or not there are compensating deficiencies, depends on the family. Family specifics are not shown at the moment, but I am working on a feature that allows you to do some family research and get the specifics. I haven't decided if the cost will be in gold or silver for that research, either.

As with everything in the system, feedback is greatly appreciated.
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby sharp » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:32 pm

Wow, ok well, this will take a while to digest. I wish I hadn't just placed first bids two new teams today lol. Will have to analyze this to see if I need to sell some of my new aqcuisitions and get ones with better bonuses for their positions.
sharp
Elite Overlord

Postby tomchaps » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:04 pm

Wow, so there might also be penalties as well as bonuses? That is, an orc from the Lose-clan might also have, say, a small Pound penalty or something? And these bonuses and penalties will shift?

Are you sure orcs are smart enough for all of this?
tomchaps
Senior Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:07 pm

The penalty is static. After a while, if you haven't spent whatever the cost would be to see for yourself, you'll get a sense of where an orc has a penalty. And that is IF the orc has a penalty.
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby tomchaps » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:34 am

Just a general thought about orcsports and the changes...

One of the most fun aspects of the game is looking at the statistics and figuring out how things work. There's a lot of information scattered throughout the forums, but you shouldn't give away TOO much of the coding of the game. (For example, how faceoffs are handled. I had thought it was Get+Eek... an observant overlord could have found a real advantage by realizing it was [Get, Slam if tied].

Which means, I personally don't think you should tell us what the penalties and advantages are for clans. Let us figure out that the lose clan has sucky eek, or whatever.

What do other people think?
tomchaps
Senior Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:43 am

As has been revealed elsewhere, there are several families within each clan. You might get an Eek bonus, but depending on what family you are in, you might have a get penalty, or a lose penalty, or ... This penalty doesn't change over time, but it does vary by family.

It's good to know what clan is known for what attribute, and more than fair that you can know up front what attribute you're strong at based on what clan you're a member of. But as I see it, families are not going to volunteer that they're bad at something, so knowing the penalty is not obvious.
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby Daemian » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:05 am

Okay couple of questions on this one (now that I've read it):

You mean to say that there are SIX Tribes, but within each TRIBE is X number of FAMILIES? And the families are differentiated by the OTHER Attributes the orc has (other than the main one influenced by the TRIBE)?

Am I reading all this correctly?
Daemian
Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:15 am

Clan 1: no modifiers
....Family 1 (no modifiers)
Clan 2: +Get
....Family 2 (-Lose)
....Family 3 (-Eek)
....Family 4 (-Slam)
....Family 5 (-Pound)
....Family 6 (-Sneak)
....Family 7 (+Toughness)
Clan 3: +Lose
....Family 8 (-Get)
etc.
etc.
etc.

You can see which Clan you're in, but with the exception of +Toughness, you can't tell which family your orc belongs to. The orc won't say, either, since that could mean admitting some kind of weakness. (The ones that have +Toughness are just plain bigger.)
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby tomchaps » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:37 am

Ooh, so the +toughness family orcs have "visible" extra hit points, that appear in the orc's description? Or would a toughness 1 orc in the +toughness family still appear to have only 20 HP...
tomchaps
Senior Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:40 am

They show as having 20 hps everywhere except the text game. You only have to heal them to 20 HPs, and they will go into the game with 30. If they take only 10 damage during the game, they come out looking fully healed. It's a different kind of toughness...
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby Mad Jackal » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:17 pm

TheIceMage wrote:They show as having 20 hps everywhere except the text game. You only have to heal them to 20 HPs, and they will go into the game with 30. If they take only 10 damage during the game, they come out looking fully healed. It's a different kind of toughness...

You know that you mention this...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... I thought I saw.. ;rushes off to check:

-

:D

but anyway, thanks for the info. Families that suck at something, more things to look for...... back to the statistics..
Mad Jackal
Senior Overlord

Return to Strategy Articles and Talk