I'm so tired! (Managing Fatigue in OrcSports)

In this forum, some different strategies of OrcSports are brought up in articles and/or discussions.

I'm so tired! (Managing Fatigue in OrcSports)

Postby TheIceMage » Mon May 17, 2004 8:49 pm

If you've run a team for a while, you've probably seen these:
::tired::
::zzz::

These are indications that your orcs are tired (the red eye) or REALLY tired (the Z's). How did they get that way?

Whenever orcs ::silvermedal:: play in games, go ::jail:: looting or ::train:: train their skills, their ::tired:: fatigue level goes up. Whenever they rest, their fatigue level goes down. The pace at which the fatigue level goes down isn't very fast, though, so over time, this fatigue builds and builds to the point where the orc gets tired. A tired orc ::dog:: doesn't play as well, makes more mistakes in games, and tries to find his way to the bench more often.

There are some simple things you can do to manage your team's fatigue level. The first, and I think most important way is to fill your team out to 35 orcs! Get ::goldstar:: star players, yes, but give them a chance to rest once in a while. If you only have two lines of orcs, they're out on the field a lot more than they are used to, and will get ::zzz:: very tired very quickly.

The second thing you can do to manage fatigue is to ::beer:: heal your players regularly. OrcAde and PureAde actually reduce the fatigue level of an orc by 1 and 4 points respectively. That may not seem like much, but it may be the difference between fatigue building up or reducing over time.

The third approach is to not send a tired orc looting! Looting happens in the middle of the night, and disrupts the orc's sleeping habits. If they are able to sleep more, they will shed some of that built-up fatigue.

There you go! Three simple things to keep in mind to help manage your orc's fatigue level.

- Brett
P.S. Feel free to leave feedback on this article right here in the forum.
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby TheIceMage » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:24 am

If you want to know some specifics, here is some good information that will help you with your fatigue management planning. For everything below, LTF = "long-term fatigue."

::tired:: Looting increases LTF by 5.
::tired:: Training increases LTF by 5.
::tired:: Being hit increases fatigue by some amount, and if the orc's (temporary) fatigue gets too high, LTF builds up even more.
::tired:: Knockouts received increase LTF by 10.

::beer:: Healing with OrcAde reduces LTF by 1. To use OrcAde, the orc must be injured.
::beer:: Healing with PureAde reduces LTF by 4 even if the orc is only healed 1 hit point. To use PureAde, the orc must be injured.

::zzz:: Normal reduction in LTF overnight is -9.
::zzz:: If LTF is 12 or less, it's set to 0.

More research is being done on the amount of LTF gained by playing in games. So far, I can say that goalies don't tend to get tired nearly as much as the other positions. Also, wearing heavier armor prevents build-up of fatigue from being hit.

- Brett
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby genexcuse » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:40 pm

Does paying to have a healer get to your entire team help with LTF at all?

-C
genexcuse
Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:46 pm

genexcuse wrote:Does paying to have a healer get to your entire team help with LTF at all?

-C

Yes. The healer removes fatigue at the rate of 1 point for every 5 points healed. If you have a particularly tired orc that you want to bring the fatigue down on, I recommend healing that orc manually. Use OrcAde and for the last (up to 5) points, use a PureAde.
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:09 pm

So what about fully healed orcs? I'd love to dump Pure OrcAde down the throat of my star Center. However, I can't because he's totally healthy and sleeping. Do I strip off his armor and send him looting just so he'll get injured enough for me to reduce his fatigue? It seems a little counter-intuitive. I've let the poor guy have his rest, but it would be faster if I could use Orc Ade.

-C

Postby TheIceMage » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:33 am

Anonymous wrote:So what about fully healed orcs?

Nope. Can't do anything about them.

Anonymous wrote:I'd love to dump Pure OrcAde down the throat of my star Center. However, I can't because he's totally healthy and sleeping. Do I strip off his armor and send him looting just so he'll get injured enough for me to reduce his fatigue? It seems a little counter-intuitive. I've let the poor guy have his rest, but it would be faster if I could use Orc Ade.

That would mean that the rich team wins. By spending their gold on PureAde, their orcs are never tired, and then skills at managing your team's fatigue don't matter. Making it so that the orc has to be injured was a design decision made in the interest of fairness. :)
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby tysok » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:33 am

How exactly is this figured up. :)
My team, having been beaten to a bloody unrecognizable pulp last night, would require 79 orc aids and 27 cherry to get back to full strength (assuming using cherry to gain between 1 and 4 points). Actually, to keep costs down it should use 85 orc aids and 15 cherry, using an orc aid for more than a 2pnt difference. Assuming no cherry heals 4.
That's a total cost of 4250 in orc aid and 450 in cherry, total 4,700 gold.
The healer will cost 2,530 gold.
The healer is cheaper by roughly 2,200 gold.

I have no orc aid right now, I guess when the healer comes he raids my cabinets for healing drinks and uses those first (the cheap scum... shamans are always looking for short cuts). I didn't realize that until a few days ago. Didn't realize it gave fatigue back when a healer comes either.

I was keeping my stash in a safe (healer found the combination I had written on my desk calender I guess) so I could help my fatigue out when necessary or in a case like this one, I could heal up my first 2 lines and leave everyone else mostly dead cuz I don't have enough to heal them all.

So, how is the healer cost figured, does he really give back fatigue, and why does he steal my stash when I'm paying him to work! :lol:
tysok
Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:25 am

The healer is kindof like SantorClaus - he sees you when you're sleeping, he knows where OrcAde's hid. He is somewhat respectful, in that he doesn't take the good stuff (PureAde), so if you want to stock something for emergencies, that would be good.

The healer always heals 3 points with Cherry OrcAde.

The healer's cost is about the same as OrcAde for deeper wounds, and cheaper for light wounds. Let's say you have ten 50-hit-point orcs each wounded down to 5 points. If you had a bunch of OrcAde, it would take 9 OrcAde to heal each, so 90 OrcAde or 4,500 gold worth to heal them all. It would take 70 OrcAde plus 170 gold with the healer, for a total of 3,670.

Does this help?
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby tysok » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:00 am

So in your scenario, if I had 90 orc aids he would use them all? Or would he use the 70 since he has special shamanistic powers?

Also does he happen to have any coupons in the newspaporc? I could use a 17% off coupon right now.... Or better yet does he frequent any local pubs where I could maybe get to know him and get a discount.... hmm... or does he have a single sister so I might be able to get a family discount? :lol:
tysok
Overlord

Postby tomchaps » Wed May 03, 2006 11:25 am

Is there any way to see the fatigue level of an orc that does not yet have the red-eye? Could this be added to the mouseover stats in the Barracks?

I find that managing fatigue is the most challenging part of orcsports, and more information is always useful...
tomchaps
Senior Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Wed May 03, 2006 11:51 am

The ability to see fatigue before it hits the "red eye" ::tired:: has been requested several times now, but I haven't added it yet. Why? Well, I'm supremely lazy, first of all.

But secondly, there just isn't a huge impact to the orc's play even if fatigue reaches 40 or 45. With a fatigue below 33, you really wouldn't be able to tell from appearances that the orc is tired. In general in the game, I'm trying to make it so that decisions are based on performance, not on too many exact numbers.

I'm an overlord, too. I know what it is like to try to manage fatigue for a team. Sometimes my first line is ::zzz:: straight across (except goalies), but I keep them in their first line position and raise tolerance so I get that boost from their experience at the start of the game, then let them rest after they've taken a little punishment.

Alternatively, put the tired orcs on the third line so they come in later in the game to catch you up if you're behind or ensure the win if you're ahead.

Check the Looting page and make sure you're not sending tired (or heavily injured) orcs looting at night.

Use PureAde in your healing regimen. Let's say you have an orc who is at ::zzz:: 75 fatigue (pretty high) and 14 out of 50 hit points. Give them a PureAde, three OrcAdes and another PureAde and you bring them to fully healed and only ::tired:: 64 fatigue. This is kindof expensive (950 gold), but can be worth it for the right players.
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Return to Strategy Articles and Talk