Whats in a Goalie ?

In this forum, some different strategies of OrcSports are brought up in articles and/or discussions.

Whats in a Goalie ?

Postby Brakgwar » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:31 pm

OK with many Season under the Old Brakky Belt i thought id share some of ..... "My Insight" .... (So take this with a Brak is LOCO :lol: by his own Right ... grain of salt)
(were talking Novice league ... just upscale for higher leagues)

Goalies ............... What Skills and Seasons are helpful ....

lets start with Skills :D

It is VERY important to get a Slam of a 5 or Higher ..... With the New Clans a Slam clan goalie with a 5 slam is Now a 6 or 7 Slam which is UUUUUUUBBBBBBBAAAAARRRRRRRR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Whats Next you ask... Eek! you should always get a 5 or higher in Eek as this will help your Goalie .. Move, Dive, Ect

the Next Skill thats Important is GET ....... you should always try for a 3 or greater Get or your goalie runs the Risk that the Orc who just Shot at the goal will get the ball and try again :wink:

And last but not least is Lose this will help your Goalie Pass the Ball out away from the Goal :D

Sneak and Pound are not Very Important for a Goalie .... 8)

Now lets Talk about Seasons played and Positions.................

DUH!!!!!!!!! Goalie is a Given :wink: the More seasons the Better :)

the Next Most Important position is Center .... As the more seasons at Center the Better he is at Holding onto the Ball he Just Blocked 8)

Seasons in Wing can help with Passing the Ball but i wouldnt worry to much about this :)

Seasons in Defence ...... are not needed for a Good Goalie :)

Seasons Played can offset what Skills an Orc can get away with 8)

The Last Bite of Goalie Advice i have is TIME Vs SEASONS ...... it takes Far to Long to Season up Goalies. So as a Rule of thumb i usually Pick up at Least 1 New Goalie Each Season .... 8)

Hope this Helps :D ....... or just Chaulk it up to Brak Babble :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Brakgwar on Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brakgwar
Former "Overlord with the Most Balls"

Postby TheIceMage » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:04 pm

What's in a goalie? I thought it was guts and orc-chow, like every other player!
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby Brakgwar » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:25 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Ice 8)

Sooon to Come is Brakky's "take" on Center ,Wings , And Defence :D
Brakgwar

Postby Bogdanovist » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:43 am

One more thing to add, it's a no brainer for experienced overlords but I remember when I played my first season I thought "hey the goalie's not going to get hit much, toughness 1 is fine!" forgetting that OrcSports is played with a hard spiky 'ball'. The fact that goalies take a pounding from saving shots is not somthing I realised till I'd been playing for a little bit, and by then I had some really wussy goalies! I generally won't look at a goalie with toughness less than 3. In fact unless they are defenders I wouldn't take any orc with toughness less than 3...

One other point is that while good Eek, Get and loose are usefull (in descending order of usefullness) Slam is THE most important stat. Again when I was new I remember taking an Eek 5 Slam 4 goalie over an Eek 4 Slam 5 one beacause he had slighty better get, thinking that Eek and Slam were of equal importance. This I'm sure now was a mistake. ALWAYS go for the highest slam (and seasons played at goalie). Everything else is a bonus.

It's not so much of an issue since the homelands were restocked, but back when I started Slam 5 goalies (in novice) were like hens teeth so you really had to spend up big and get them if they were available.
Bogdanovist
Senior Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:27 am

Orc players don't have a "loose" stat. Orc tavern wenches, maybe, but not orc players.
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby Brakgwar » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:51 am

TheIceMage wrote:Orc players don't have a "loose" stat. Orc tavern wenches, maybe, but not orc players.

You say Lose ... i Say Loooose .... whats da Matter i can no have Girlie Orcs play for my Teams why joo think they do so Well.... its dem Loose Girlie Orcs i promises them :wink: 8) :lol:

Ohh and Yes "Bog" i sure Did forget Tough in Skills ........... (Tis what happens when Brakky just Rambles without a prior Draft of what he is typein) :lol:

A Toughness of a 2 was Ok in the Novice Leagues but with the addition of Clans i wouldnt get less than a 3 Since you have some Lose (for Joo Ice :wink: ) 7 possible Wings ... which will Kill your Goalies just by shooting the ball at them :twisted:

So as a Standard .. id Get a Toughness 3 and put them in Full Plate as soon as you can ...... Buy it if they dont have it already before your First game of the Second Season :wink:
Brakgwar

Return to Strategy Articles and Talk