Whats in a Center ?

In this forum, some different strategies of OrcSports are brought up in articles and/or discussions.

Whats in a Center ?

Postby Brakgwar » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:26 am

OK with many Season under the Old Brakky Belt i thought id share some of ..... "My Insight" .... (So take this with a Brak is LOCO by his own Right ... grain of salt) :lol: :lol: (were talking Novice league ... just upscale for higher leagues) 8)

Centers ............... What Skills and Seasons are helpful ....

lets start with Skills

It is VERY important to get a Get of a 4 or Higher ..... With the New Clans a Get clan Center Could Sqweak by with a 3 get in Novice

The Next Skill thats Important is Lose ....... you should always try for a 4 or greater Lose If you want to Score and not get intercepted alot :wink:

Next in the Line is POUND ....... Think of Pound as not only how Hard your Centers Hit But when they Get hit do they Hit Back! I have Noticed that a Lower Pound Center doesnt Return the Hits nearly as often as a higher Pound Center.

Whats Next you ask... Eek! you should always Pick a 4 or higher in Eek ..... With the New Clans a -1 to Eek on a 3 Eek Center will equal a Trip the Regen Chamber!

Next is TOUGHNESS :evil: you need a 3 or Better (4/5 is best) or your New Center will spend more time with his Eyes Closed than on the Field .... ::skull::

Slam Should be a 3 or Higher as it Breaks ties if the Centers at Face-off have the Same Get Skills

Sneak Is not Very Important for a Center....

Now lets Talk about Seasons played and Positions.................

DUH!!!!!!!!! Center is a Given the More seasons the Better

the Next Most Important position is Wing .... As the more seasons at Wing the Better he is at Passing / Shooting the Ball!

Seasons in Goalie can help your Center Avoid Hits and Move about the Field.

Seasons in Defence ...... Have no affect (that i can tell) on how your Centers preform ... other than Makeing them Age Faster :shock:

Seasons Played can offset what Skills an Orc can get away with!!

The Last Bite of Center Advice i have is TIME Vs SEASONS ...... Centers Age the Quickest of any Position .... So picking up a Center with 3 Seasons at Goalie, Wing, and Center is a Good Single Season Player but will Cost to much and age quick For furthur Seasons!

Hope this Helps ....... or just Chaulk it up to Brak Babble
:roll: :mrgreen: ::cane:: ::beer:: :mrgreen: :lol:
Brakgwar
Former "Overlord with the Most Balls"

Postby TheIceMage » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:07 pm

I think I would rank stuff differently, but what do I know. You keep winning in games between us.
39-21-23-72 on 4/9/2009
34-11-14-38 on 12/5/2007
30-8-9-33 on 5/2/2007
::goldmedal:: ::silvermedal:: ::bronzemedal:: ::dog::
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby Brakgwar » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:02 pm

Hmmm was i supost to list em in Order :oops: :shock: :mrgreen:

I was kind of Listing each Skill and what i look for but if i had to Order them :wink:

Get
Eek
Pound/Toughness
Lose
Slam
Sneak

I just kind of Start typin and Click "Preview" Change some things hit "Preview" again ... rinse repeat untill i think ive all my thoughts Down :lol: 8)
Brakgwar

A Clarification

Postby Gorblin » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:50 pm

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that having both Center & Wing skill was redundant: for all checks you just use the better of the two.

Am I mistaken?

-G
Overlord Piper:
Ballbusters - 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st
Orc Sea Morons - 3rd, 1st
Gorblin
Overlord

Postby Bogdanovist » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:12 pm

I have a similar issue. I have centers in DivIV, with great lose and a lot of center season but with wing 1 that are topping the scoring charts. Is Wing really needed to shoot well? Maybe these guys are such good faceoff winners that they have so many chances to score that it masks their crappy ability? I dunno, I havn't done any careful testing or anything, but based on my not so careful analysis of my teams, Wing isn't the bees knees when it comes to scoring. I havn't noticed these guys throwing heaps of intercepts either? Maybe they don't do so much damage to goalies with their shots, but the shooting seems accurate enough.

Still as I say I havn't looked at this careful and run any test teams or anything so I could be talking rubbish...
Bogdanovist
Senior Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:16 pm

Faceoff winning relies on Center experience.
Shooting is Forward experience (better of Wing or Center).
39-21-23-72 on 4/9/2009
34-11-14-38 on 12/5/2007
30-8-9-33 on 5/2/2007
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby Brakgwar » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:05 pm

You all have to Remeber that "ICE" Doesnt tell ya Anything :wink: and you have no Way of seeing what your opponets Skills are................ so what you have to work from is how your Orcs Preform and what Skills/Seasons they Have. 8)

With No way to see what your Opponents Skills are! Its Random Guess Work at Best 8)

All the Time ive been playing and the Wing/Center Seasons for Shooting is New to ME ... but ive made a Note of it :wink:
Brakgwar

Re: Whats in a Center ?

Postby Brakgwar » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:17 pm

Brakgwar wrote:OK with many Season under the Old Brakky Belt i thought id share some of ..... "My Insight" .... (So take this with a Brak is LOCO by his own Right ... grain of salt) :lol: :lol:

Ohhh Btw Check out the Disclaimer :mrgreen: ::cane:: ::beer:: ::beer:: ::dog:: ::jail:: :mrgreen: :lol:
Brakgwar

Postby sharp » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:42 pm

so what you have to work from is how your Orcs Preform

This is key
sharp
Elite Overlord

Postby tomchaps » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:01 pm

Yeah, I rank things totally different from Brak. I lose to him, too, but not ALL the time, at least.

Just to be clear--Lose/Get is determined by the HIGHER of the levels between Center and Wing. So, a level 5 Wing, Level 1 Center who gets put in at Center for some reason will perform as a Level 5 Center, right?

Likewise, a center's defence level should impact his effectiveness at doing damage, right? Cuz otherwise, I've really messed up all my drafts. In fact, I've spent a third of a season training a center to be a level 4 defender before putting him back in at his real position. Was this wasted time?
tomchaps
Senior Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:33 pm

A wing 5 center 1 in at center will probably lose a lot of faceoffs. Faceoff is specific to center experience. Catching, passing, shooting, are all the same.

Defense helps you hit, yes.
39-21-23-72 on 4/9/2009
34-11-14-38 on 12/5/2007
30-8-9-33 on 5/2/2007
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby tomchaps » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:56 am

I really shouldn't give away too many of my tips, but here is the single most important lesson I have learned:

Centers are for shooting.

They will score at least 2/3rds of your goals. Thus, this is what I look for in centers:

Lose
Lose
Lose
Toughness
Get
Eek
Good defense (to knock out goalies)--Def level, sneak/pound

Level is not as important for centers, since they level up so quickly.

I have had great success with centers with 5 lose, 1 get. I lose the faceoff, but make up for it with scoring. I'd consider paying for a horrible center with top-notch lose, but a great faceoff orc with mediocre lose is nothing but a liability.
tomchaps
Senior Overlord

Postby randomluck » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:07 pm

I still have less than 10 seasons under my belt, so I'm still learning. However, I've lately gone with high GET on the centers and High Lose on the Wings. The results should speak for themselves: I LOSE THE SEASON!!!

I do good if the other guy can't score or if my goalies are maxed out, but otherwise, I barely hold my own. Hmmmm....I should try some of this advice. Thanks! :D
The Black Belt Beaters
Honest Tricksters
Followers of One Fang
Three Claws
Fifth Times the Charm
Not the Face! Not the Face!
Mwuhahaha
randomluck
Elite Overlord

Postby Mad Jackal » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:13 pm

randomluck wrote:I still have less than 10 seasons under my belt, so I'm still learning. However, I've lately gone with high GET on the centers and High Lose on the Wings. The results should speak for themselves: I LOSE THE SEASON!!!

I do good if the other guy can't score or if my goalies are maxed out, but otherwise, I barely hold my own. Hmmmm....I should try some of this advice. Thanks! :D

I did place top 4 again, but I think randomluck stole the thoughts right out of my head.
Mad Jackal
Senior Overlord

Postby tomchaps » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:36 pm

Yep, I think one of the biggest misconceptions in the game--and this is partially the fault of the FAQ and the way the stats are set up--is about centers.

Centers are for shooting. They should be your very best wings, but with toughness and eek and high center levels. The orcs are too stupid to specialize--a great faceoff orc won't pass to a shooting wing very often, but will waste tons of shots.

A team with great Get will win faceoffs, and not score. A team with great Lose might lose faceoffs, but they'll get the ball back most of the time if they have good goalies. They'll score just fine.

I know a lot of other good overlords disagree, and I'm about 50% in wins against them overall, but...
tomchaps
Senior Overlord

Next

Return to Strategy Articles and Talk