How to hurt the other team

In this forum, some different strategies of OrcSports are brought up in articles and/or discussions.

How to hurt the other team

Postby tomchaps » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:16 am

Brak, want to chime in here? ::skull::

Ahem, anyway. I've started to do a lot more damage with my teams, due to a simple observation:

Damage is cumulative.

What does this mean? Basically, if you have good defenders, you might get lucky with a cheap hit, and knock out a forward or center.

If your wings and centers can hit hard--that is, if they have a high defender level and good Sneak/Pound--every one of your orcs will chip away at the opponent's hit points, and you'll get through their first and second lines much, much faster.

I decide early on if I want to go for a lot of kills with a team. If not, I completely ignore my wing/center defense rating, since going halfway in this doesn't add that much. However, if all of your orcs hurt, you'll find that you rack up the kills much faster.

Another overlooked advantage of having wings and centers that can hit is that you can knock out goalies faster, which is the key to victory in many close games. Backup goalies are rarely anywhere near as good as the first string...

Discuss.
tomchaps
Senior Overlord

Postby Brakgwar » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:03 pm

Id Agree with you .... 8)

Face of ....... your center Hits the opposing Center

they run down the field with the Ball .... Mean while your Wings and Centers Pound away on them .....

They are getting low in HP's and get close to the Goal and POW your Defence Orc K.O.'s him while he wasnt looking :wink:
Brakgwar
Former "Overlord with the Most Balls"

Postby Bogdanovist » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:18 pm

So which is the most effective approach. When I was a very green overlord (inexperienced that is, not green like an orc :shock: ) I made two novice teams around the same time (I think I has already made 1-2 teams before this). One was meant to be a killer team, the other focused on the best ball skills with only defenders looking to hit (though I tried to get good slam/goalie stats for the defenders, basically anything focused on trying to score and prevent being scored on).

Both teams went okay and considering my inexperienced and unbalanced novice leagues I didn't gain much insight.

So so question remains, is to better to try and outplay the opponent or try and kill them all then walk over them with mediocre ball playing skills? I usually go for more of a ball playing focus rating slam/goalie highly for defenders and not worrying to much about wings/defenders hitting. The big exception to this is my pound clan team and despite having no ball skills at all they did really well in a much tougher than usual novice season. I'm now trying to move my 2nd and third season teams more towards hitting, but i'd be interested to know what you guys thought about the best approach.

Obviously killing and maiming the opposition has it's own benefits to enjoyment :twisted: but is it also the best path to victory?
Bogdanovist
Senior Overlord

Postby tomchaps » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:32 pm

Depends on the homeland, mostly, and how much cash your team has after rollover. If my team won the last league and I've flush, I'll try to get both good primary stats AND that killa' somthin'.

Many overlords don't seem to value pain-givin' highly in their non-defenders, so frequently you can pick up a wing who hits for little more. You shouldn't sacrifice scoring (lose) at all, but it might be worth getting orcs with less toughness or slam or something. Same with centers.

Earlier, I offered to share anyone who's interested a spreadsheet I worked out that gives weighed rankings for each orc for each position. In a few seasons, I think I counted seasons at defence more highly than seasons at wing, for a wing!
tomchaps
Senior Overlord

Postby Bogdanovist » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:48 pm

What did you use to determine the weightings though, learned gestimation or have you done some hard core stat/performance tracking?
Bogdanovist
Senior Overlord

Postby Seth » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:34 pm

I would certainly be interested in such a spreadsheet. Is it posted somewhere, or would you e-mail it to me, or...?

Would be much appreciated.

-Seth
Seth
Senior Overlord

Postby Mad Jackal » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:58 pm

I posted a request via the pm on this site back when Tom offerred before. (It included my e-mail adress to get it to me.)

But it still sits in my outbox...I must have mis-spelt the name even though I've looked at it many times.

Hopefully replying to this will help...
Mad Jackal
Senior Overlord

Postby Brakgwar » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:44 am

One thing i can tell you on Grind Teams is ................

Its very dependent on the Opponents Armor rating and Tolerance level ....

the higher their armor rating the Less K.O.'s you will get in a game ...

I've Ripped up teams with Padded still in their armor rating and barely scratched teams with 3plate/1chain ratings (Sharp :wink: )
Brakgwar
Former "Overlord with the Most Balls"

Postby tomchaps » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:01 pm

If anyone wants the spreadsheet, send me an email at tomchaps@yahoo.com. I can start a post to walk people through how to update it for your team's homeland, as well. It takes me about ten minutes, once I got used to it.

My initial weightings were borrowed from Cazior, the now-busy-with-baby micromanaging powergamer. Our orcsports theories diverged a bit, though.

I change my rankings a lot from season to season. Novice rankings should look very different than Season III rankings. Often, I'll try something new--one season I gave a penalty to centers for having higher levels in wing, to try to differentiate the two positions. It's really easy to fiddle with, and I hope everyone does...
tomchaps
Senior Overlord

Return to Strategy Articles and Talk