What would YOU do?

In this forum, some different strategies of OrcSports are brought up in articles and/or discussions.

What do you do?

Huddle in a corner, rock back and forth, and repeat "it's gonna get better" ad nauseam?
No votes
Change all your lines around and see what happens?
22%
Load up on weapons?
33%
Load up on armour?
11%
Send all orcs to the pub and let your team forfeit three times?
No votes
Loot like it's goin' out of style?
22%
Hang your head in shame and change your team name to the Wilted Lilies?
No votes
Something so despicable that it can't even be mentioned here?
11%

Total votes : 9

What would YOU do?

Postby Dizzy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:07 am

Okay: you've got a team in a new Division. The other seven teams...
(i) have more money than you;
(ii) have taken all the good players from the homelands;
(iii) have done better than you in previous seasons; and
(iv) are starting to thump you in the first few games.

When answering the poll, think "What would I do?"

In your posts, think "What would Brian Boitano do?"
Dizzy
Elite Overlord

Postby Seth » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:26 am

I don't think your situation is quite as dire as you make it sound (assuming you're talking about the Division IV league I think you're talking about).

That league has a few really nasty teams, and you've already met two of them. Slammer's team just looks incredibly solid to me, they're just going to be really good. And Vic's team is really good too, and you played them very close.

I think your team is probably a lot better than Greg's or Wesley's. I'd watch out for Slammer, Vic and bubbauk. But if you can eke out some close victories against me and Jeffrey (I predict the two of us will end up sort of in the middle), you could squeak into the playoffs...and then who knows...
Seth
Senior Overlord

Postby Dizzy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:13 pm

I don't think your situation is quite as dire as you make it sound.

It's just a hypothetical question! And preparing for the worst never hurt anyone...
... except maybe that guy who buried himself in his bomb shelter and starved.
... or that hiker who overdosed on antivenin so he'd be snakebite-proof.

Okay, fine. I'm overreacting to my present situation, but it ain't pretty all the same. The poll question is still interesting in a general sense.

Okay, fine. It's interesting in a very specific sense. But it's still interesting.

Okay, fine. It's passing fancy. It has passed fancy and is leaving fancy behind. Who're you callin' fancy, punk?
Dizzy
Elite Overlord

Alright, it's for real.

Postby Dizzy » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:06 pm

Okay, ladies and gentlemen: it's for real.

The situation IS that dire, and my team (2-8-0) is NOT that much better than Greg's or Wesley's. Despite a good deal of managerial massaging, the muscles and tendons of my efforts are tearing. I am getting pummeled regularly, either in the score or physically or both. At the time of this post, I have six guys in the regen chamber, five of whom are important.

BUT I LOVE MY POOR, FRAGILE, AND APPARENTLY INEPT TEAM, AND I WANNA HELP THEM!

So I ask the question again: what do YOU do when faced with this situation? I'll go first:

Dizzy: Hi, I'm Dizzy, and my team sucks peat.
All: Hi, Dizzy.
Dizzy: I'm buying armour and training facilities, and filling my first line with orcs who are the closest to leveling up in experience. Is that wrong?
All: Yes, you demented putz. You're supposed to...
Dizzy
Elite Overlord

Postby Seth » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:15 pm

Looking at the herald for your team, it seems like your strength is on defense. Which again makes me think buying weapons couldn't hurt. Though I shouldn't make suggestions like that to a team that I still have to play a few times.

It looks like you're the thinnest at center. Is there anybody in the homelands you can pick up as a scorer? A quick glance shows me one lose 5 orc with center experience, and a bunch of 4s. But you may have better than that already. Some have terrible get, but maybe you can train that up?

My team is very average, but lives and dies on the back of my one star center. When he's dead, we always lose. When he's not, we frequently win. It seems like having stars at that position is essential...
Seth
Senior Overlord

Postby sharp » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:04 am

Armor = wins
sharp
Elite Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:38 pm

So what ever happened to this team, anyway?
39-21-23-72 on 4/9/2009
34-11-14-38 on 12/5/2007
30-8-9-33 on 5/2/2007
::goldmedal:: ::silvermedal:: ::bronzemedal:: ::dog::
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby bubbauk » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:25 am

i believe this is the league he was talking about.

Overlord's Team IQ Win-Loss-Tie Points For - Against
Seth's Gluttons for Punishment 73 15-3-1 833 - 297
Victor's killer Bunnies 71 15-4-0 552 - 240
Slammer's Coma Causers 69 14-4-1 658 - 220
Jeffrey's Predators 57 12-7-0 563 - 351
Bubbauk's Crazy Loons 42 9-10-0 811 - 365
Dizzy's Spleenrippaz 28 6-13-0 297 - 481
Greg's Orackers 14 3-16-0 238 - 843
Wesley's Da Grudgebearerz 4 1-18-0 82 - 1237

i just couldn't win in the end. had a good start. 7-4 at one time. then,

death.

just seemed so helpless.
Bubbauk
bubbauk
Elite Overlord

How to lose a league in 10 days.

Postby Dizzy » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:11 am

The strategy that I have been following with the Spleenrippaz has been to maintain three solid lines of orcs at Centre, Wing, and Defense, rotating them to distribute experience. (My goalies are generally the same all the time.) The idea was a counterstrategy to the (apparently) common technique of building up one line of destroyers with a bunch of flotsam in the second and third lines. Essentially, my fairly-good guys would have to hold the fort against the opponent's powerhouses for the first little while, but as those powerhouses get K.O.'d or tired, I would have the advantage in the middle and later stages of the game.

It does not seem to be working. The development of my opponents' stars is breathtaking compared to the concurrent development of my three lines... but more importantly, the experience of my scorers is not in line with the constant development of their goalies. So, back to the ol' drawing board... :roll:

On another note, I wish that the game included logic that says "That orc has scored on us 4 times now. Let's get him." .. as sort of an incentive not to get too star-centric.
Dizzy
Elite Overlord

Return to Strategy Articles and Talk