Looting

In this forum, some different strategies of OrcSports are brought up in articles and/or discussions.

Looting

Postby Derick » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:41 pm

Anyone have any looting strategy, it would be greatly appreciated!! :D
Derick
Novice

Postby orcleader » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:43 pm

i don't really know any strategies but if you find any, please tell. this was the orcleader
orcleader
Novice

Yay looting!!!!

Postby Tenorprincess » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:59 pm

Basically I find it works well to sent orcs whose sneak is below 3 to just stick to the slums, this way they don't end up in jail all that often.
4 is a good sneek level for an orc to go to the castle, but they do get caught often enough you might not want to send a star player.
Five and up is good to send to the merchants, but make sure they are tough so they don't come back dead. Generally high get is good for your looters, that way you get more stuff, and stuff is good! I wouldn't suggest sending a star here either.
So a good rule of thumb
3 and under sneek=slums
4ish sneek=castle
5ish sneek=merchants
But don't forget about the toughness and get of an orc!! they should be a factor too!
8)
Slums are simple, and you rarely get caught. Castle is a palce that if you go, you will be often sent to jail, but jail has some good things too so it is a win win situation. And Don't fear the merchants, if your guy is sneeky enough you can come away with some nice higer end goods, like steel spikes and plate, and you can also come away with orcaid, pureaid, and many other things. If it is in the market, it can be looted. Just be sure they have high toughness or some dandy armor before letting them treck through the merchants. like I said, you don't want them coming back dead.
:wink:
And just so you know, I actually use this, and yes my guys get a lot of jail time, but I have gotten some great stuff from it, and none of my orcs has ever died looting....games are another situation. :)
Tenorprincess
Novice

The Merchant Experiment

Postby TheIceMage » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:00 pm

Today was the last day for looting for the ::dollar:: "Steal Plates." This was a novice team, and I was running a ::jail:: looting experiment. ::jail::

Basically, I targeted good looters with my bids - orcs with
:arrow: high Sneak,
:arrow: high Get
:arrow: and high Toughness.

I didn't worry about how well they could play the game, as I figured this would be a losing season anyway. And boy, was it - my final record after the 21 regular season games was 4 wins, 15 losses and 2 ties - 7th place (ahead of a team that recruited only one line of players). The difference between winning all 21 games and my record is about 16,000 gold (not counting what I would have gotten from the playoffs).

I sent my looters out to the Merchant's every day. Now, at the end of the season, I have 35 orcs and a treasury of 491 gold. I also have 24 suits of Plate Mail armor (all my assigned orcs wear plate), another 5 miscellaneous pieces of Plate, 7 suits of Chain Mail plus another 5 pieces, and 6 pieces of leather to fill in the gaps. That's 141,960 gold worth of armor (or 88,725 gold if you count only sale value). On the weapon side, I probably could have kept more, but I only wanted to hang on to the steel spikes. I only got one. I also kept 61 bottles of OrcAde and one PureAde.

Overall, as I armored my looters, damage from the merchant's guards kept going down. Today's looting record shows 35 orcs going. Of them...
:arrow: 5 got STUFF from the merchant
:arrow: 15 got some gold and got injured (for an average of 5.4 damage each)
:arrow: 14 got gold without injury
:arrow: and one got thrown in jail (52 gold bail)

My total gold take on this last day was 1,809 and for the entire season was 88,136 gold. My highest take was 2,774 gold, and my lowest was 734 (on the 3rd day of looting with only 8 looters going out). There were days when I had no orcs jailed, but not any days where I took no damage. Lowest damage cost was 25 gold, and the average was 136 per day. That's about 27 damage total.

I probably missed a full three days of looting (net) due to not being able to get to a computer over the holidays, and was a touch wasteful by buying some chain mail armor that I eventually sold parts of later, but really, to finish my novice season with 24 suits of plate armor is huge. Granted, I have no real player talent on my team, and will have to make that up later, and having plate armor on EVERYBODY is kindof a waste since it slows orcs down, but this was just an experiment.

Thoughts?

- Brett
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby Coldsteel » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:36 am

Brett, what did you start your Orcs wearing, armor-wise?
WAAAAAAAAAGGGHHH!!!
Coldsteel
Novice

Postby TheIceMage » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:04 pm

Some armor is better than no armor, of course. In a novice season, I try to end the season in leather armor across the board, but am not afraid to have the team go out in padded. After that, I customize armor and tolerance based on who gets hurt. I also tend to give my goalies plate armor as soon as I can afford it.

Once armor is happy, I look to pre-pay rollover. After this, I might consider a training facility. :-D
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby tomchaps » Wed May 03, 2006 1:04 pm

So, does level effect looting? In other words, would a Level 3 Defender with 5 Sneak loot better than a Level 1 Defender with 5 Sneak? Looking at my looting stats, I don't think so, but I thought I'd ask...

This is a subset of the biggest question I have--whether the level of the position a stat is listed under is important if the orc isn't playing that position. Again, I think it does--I wasted a bunch of games crosstraining one of my top wings so that he reached Level 2 as a defender, so that he could hit harder as a wing. It seems to have worked.

Or, am I wasting my orc's time?
tomchaps
Senior Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Wed May 03, 2006 1:30 pm

There are certain in-game tasks that rely on both the seasons and skill. Hitting is a good example, as it relies on Defense experience to know how to hit harder or more effectively. Shooting the ball relies on the forward stat, which is the better of Wing and Center.

I had a Wing 3 Defense 3 that I played at wing, and he ended up being the #1 Bruiser in the league for two seasons running. He was a pretty decent point-scorer, too. The downside to doing this is that the orc gets aging effects sooner. Season 1 and 2 don't contribute much to age, but seasons 3 and on do.
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby tomchaps » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:04 am

Back to the original looting question: I can't decide if the Castle is really a better place to loot than the Merchants. If your orc is toughness 3 or above, you almost never need to heal a looter that only goes to the Merchants, and they're almost never arrested. I seem to do better in the long run with the vast majority of my orcs going to the Merchants.

Anyone else have an opinion?
tomchaps
Senior Overlord

Postby sharp » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:07 am

I go strictly merchant with my key looters. The times you get plate armor to sell off makes up for the smaller amount of gold looted and the cost to bail them out of jail is signficantly less. Also, I think they get caught less often.
sharp
Elite Overlord

Postby tomchaps » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:58 am

Ice, since you've been so responsive to my random posts recently (see poison...), I thought I'd make a request about looting. It would be really helpful to us micromanaging overlords if the clanking-armor penalty was eliminated. Swapping out armor for fifteen orcs every day takes more time than anything else I do for my teams. Also, when I'm playing a team that hits hard and I'm forced to go to the bench (i.e., to looters), they are inevitably only in rope armor, and get slaughtered.

I know you said in the FAQ that it was a minor effect, but since I'm a bit compulsive I feel I always should rope my orcs before sending them out. I figure it would have little impact on gameplay, but save overlords a lot of time.

What do others think?
tomchaps
Senior Overlord

Postby TheIceMage » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:32 am

I'm inclined to leave it alone, even though folks have complained about it in the past. My Steal Plates go looting in full plate armor, but they loot the merchants, where it does them a lot of good. :-)
TheIceMage
Site Admin

Postby tuneloon » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:56 am

I tend to agree with ICE on this one. I got tired of changing armor out on my looters then back before games, so I just started looting with what they have on.
Dorc
tuneloon
Elite Overlord

Postby Brakgwar » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:18 pm

Bah my looters Are always in Rope :wink: But i havent ever had someone get to em ... maybe Mark em all as not playing then you dont have that Worry about it 8)

Now i do have Players on the Bench on some teams wearing Leather, Chain, and even Plate ... and they Loot the Merchants every night.... well they try to :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brakgwar
Former "Overlord with the Most Balls"

Postby tomchaps » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:09 pm

Brak, it's only when I play you that I have to go to my bench--perhaps that's why it never happens to you! I am now careful to put my lamest orcs in the beerhall.

::skull::

Anyway, it's not a big deal one way or another; just a thought.
tomchaps
Senior Overlord

Return to Strategy Articles and Talk